Friday, February 24, 2012

Sleepless nights-

I've been having a few rough nights; I'm tired, and I sometimes feel like crying. Heck, sometimes I do. Here lately V's hit a rough patch where around midnight he has a breakdown and all he does is cry. Not just a little, but heart wrenching sobs and screams. And the only thing that consoles him is me holding him and swaying or walking around. And it has to be me, A is not an acceptable alternative. Eventually V falls asleep, and I hold him for as long as I can but eventually my arms get tired (and let's be honest I need to sleep too) so I lay him down. And then he wakes up within minutes because he realizes what I did. And we're back at it again, until his next feeding.

Just a week ago he was sleeping through the night. I don't know if we've just hit a rough patch, or he's going through a growth spurt, or what, but we're trying to figure it out. In the meantime, I am EXHAUSTED.

I've been wondering if it was related to his formula (we've had to supplement more and more as my supply TANKED)... but I don't think it's that. Not gas either, I've given him gas drops. He just has this intense need to be held, and it goes on allllll night.

As for the breast feeding... well, there's a distinct lack of that going on. I've talked to a lactation consultant and my OB, and the general consensus is blame PCOS. Alright, I can do that. We decided to try and increase my supply first, since it's incredibly low, then (maybe) address the latch issues. So, I've started medication to increase my supply, and it's made some difference. I'm still not making enough, but it's the difference of supplementing a little bit of formula and supplementing a lot. I still don't know how much longer I'm going to breast feed, but I have my prescription for now and supplements on hand, and we'll go from there.

So that's what's not so great lately.

But on the other hand, he's started to acknowledge his mobile above his bassinet. He absolutely loves that thing. When we turn it on, and he just smiles and starts laughing. He giggles and "talks" to it, and when it turns off he starts crying... then we turn it on, he's good again. He talks to those bears way more than he does to us. I don't know what's up with that, but it's ADORABLE.

I live for moments like that.

9 comments:

St Elsewhere said...

Very sorry for the rough nights....I have had several of them, and know that it is tough to not lose it...I hope it gets better.

I also hope the LC will bring in some insight....if you read a post from me, people gave me several suggestions...maybe you have already tried them? Reglan, Domperiwhatever, Fenugreek...

So happy he is soaking in visual treats...

Please take care!

AnotherDreamer said...

I have been reading along Elsewhere :) I hope that things get easier for you too.

People have suggested the stuff you've listed to me as well. I'm on Reglan right now, and I have Fenugreek on hand too for after that. It's helped some, but still not 100%. It's better than what it was though.

Stacy said...

My little man went through this too when he was a baby. He grew out of it, but it was a rough couple of months. I had to give him gas drops after every meal. I was reading that sometimes it can be caused by heartburn or acid reflux. By the time my husband and I realized he had acid reflux he had grown out of it! Also, What if he slept sitting up like in a car seat. My son liked to sleep in his car seat.... I feel for ya girlie. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

For the sleep stuff- unfortunately it comes with the territory. Have you considered trying to put him to sleep in his swing or something like that- perhaps the movement will help him stay asleep? What about swaddling? My daughter could only sleep with a tight swaddle.

Honestly, there's no sure fire method to get a baby to sleep, but perhaps something can help.

Wishing you luck!

Lissie said...

Hope things smooth out soon. Its so crazy that the things that we want can make us so crazy some times, but we still wouldn't change a second of it. I'm not to the up all night parts yet, but I sure don't enjoy pregnancy as much as I thought I would.

Rebecca said...

Do you have a recliner for those nights when only sleeping in your arms will do? This way you too can get some sleep just using a snuggly to keep him close to you?

AnotherDreamer said...

Rebecca, I have a glider but it's not that comfortable. Plus, I don't want to risk falling asleep with him in my arms, in case I drop him or he rolls off or so on and so forth... I just don't want to risk it.

Anonymous said...

Zoey went through similar phases with the sleep when she was an infant. Have you tried just sleeping on the couch with him on your chest? I know there are mixed feelings on that as well, but there were a few nights when she was about 3 months old where that's all I could do with Zoey. I didn't sleep "well" but I slept better than staying wide awake all night. We could at least get 5 hours like that. I'd just make sure she was leaning more towards my arm that was against the back of the couch and she couldn't go anywhere. She's stay totally still and sound asleep like that.

St Elsewhere said...

Just wanted to tell you that don't stay on Reglan for long....it kind of 'feeds' the blues....that's what I have been told....just stay on it for as optimum a while as you must.